1.17.2017

90's Style | Minimal Feature-Enhancing Matte Makeup Look featuring New Products!


     Hi friends! Bringing it back to the 90's! Today's post involves the insanely basic makeup look I wore to a more insane jazz concert I went to on Sunday (Psycho Acoustic Orchestra, check them out if you like jazz!), and I used a lot of newly acquired beauty products!


Here I am blogging for da beauty, in lieu of crumpling up on my comforter and sleeping, whilst being in arm's reach of Zicam, Dayquil, two large boxes of tissues and wallowing in disgusting self-pity like the absolute imbecile I can be! 😅

I look at these warm brown tones on the eyes and lips as a prime combination for the makeup that was so commonplace in the 1990s! I am immediately reminded of Scully from X-Files with the pouty, matte brown lip and a matte neutral eye and cheeks, and the matte base makeup (any of my 90s fam and frands remember and love X-Files? Let me know in the comments!) No glow whatsoever in this.

All pics were taken yesterday just before this coughin-sneezin-runny nose shizz hit me square in the head, rendering my head pretty much useless and feeling like a separate entity apart from the rest of my body. Some hot new stuff was used, including the likes of Makeup Revolution and a new lipstick collection from Maybelline. Now, darlings, let us begin!  


Base Skin Makeup

Foundation: 

A nice cocktail of a bit of the NYX Pro Foundation Mixer in 'White' mixed into CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation in 810 Classic Ivory. Application tool? Phalanges, thank you very much. Ahem, and no cakiness either! Shocking, I know. I'm trying to do it the way my mom, aunt, and older cousins applied their makeup in the 90s, as I didn't wear makeup until I was 20.


Undereye Concealers: 

I used my trusted Skinfood Dark Circle Salmon Corrector in '01' (not pictured) under my eyes, and then I used the newly launched Wet 'n' Wild Photo Focus Concealer in 'Light Ivory' applied above the corrector.

Cream Contour:

I used the newly launched Jordana Sculpt n' Go Creamy Contour Stick in '01 Light' lightly on the hollows of the cheeks, blended upward with a brush from my new BH Cosmetics Sculpt & Blend Version 2 Brush Set, and it's the skinny  #127 Angled Face Shader Brush, and I was surprised that it was phenomenal at blending creams!

Eye Makeup

Primer: 

I used the Wet 'n' Wild Photo Focus Eyeshadow Primer as my base, setting it with a translucent setting powder.

Eyeshadow:

I popped out my newly acquired Makeup Revolution New-Trals vs. Neutrals Eyeshadow Palette, and I only used one satin finish shade in this palette for the look. The rest I used are completely matte. 

Eyeshadow How-To:

Step 1: I just blended the light wheat brown shade called 'Neutral' all along my crease, using circular motions rather than windshield wiper motions as I wanted it to extend pretty far up into my crease and close to my browbone. 
Step 2: I used the shade called 'Cool,' a beautiful matte cream, to blend out the previous shade just a bit.
Step 3: Using a slightly more tapered, precise blending brush, I blended a slightly deeper brown labeled 'Adapt' right into the socket of my entire crease, being careful to blend it in windshield wiper motions as I wanted it to stay relatively low in my crease. I blended it with a bit more of 'Neutral' on my brush. 
Step 4: 'Cool' was the next shade I used for the entirety of the blank space that was on my mobile lid.
Step 5: I then took the shade labeled 'Buff,' a satin taupe-brown, and focused on blending that into the outer third of my mobile lid and going up slightly into the crease. All of these shades blended beautifully.

Then for the lower lashline, I just blended the black gel liner I applied onto my waterline and lower lashline with more of that 'Neutral' shade, then going in to deepen it up with 'Adapt' on a pencil brush. 

Liner & Mascara

I lined and made a wing on my top lashline with the Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner in 'Blackest Black'. I then took my L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Mascara. Lastly, I took a Wet 'n' Wild Eyeliner Pencil and smudged it a bit onto the outer half of my waterline, and applying some into the outer half of my lower lashline. I then did some blendin' with the aforementioned shadows in the palette, for a beautiful smokier effect!

Cheekin' & Bronzin'


For my blush, I used an old standby, which is my Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in 'Prim' from my Bling it On palette, and to bronze my face just a little (and to set the cream contour) I used my other old standby, which is the Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Bronzer!


Lips

I used this beautiful brown shade from the newly launched Maybelline Inti-Matte Nudes Color Sensational Lipstick collection. The shade is called Toasted Truffle, and it's giving me major 90's vibes! Loving it!
Maybelline Inti-Matte Nude Color Sensational Lipstick in 'Toasted Truffle'
Maybelline Inti-Matte Nude Color Sensational Lipstick in 'Toasted Truffle'
Maybelline Inti-Matte Nude Color Sensational Lipstick in 'Toasted Truffle'
There you have it! A makeup look that channels the era that, from the point of view of those born in the 90's, comprises of girl-power anthems, and an orange soda-loving era without being too over-the-top or grungy. I love the grungy look, but with this, the lightly defined eyes, subtle contour (which I know they didn't do back then lol), and brown matte lips really help to enhance the features, and it's a minimal look that I know I can do without thinking much about it. Bonus: it takes me around 10 minutes to do!

* Products in This Post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I read, appreciate, and try to reply to each one!
In an effort to improve blog content for my readership, so that I can blog about things you actually want to see, I approve comments as long as they are genuine! Blog links are welcome, but no spam, please. Leave any feedback or questions you have about the content you're commenting on - and oh! You can also email me at barcelonista1221@gmail.com

01 09 10