11.02.2016

Limited Edition Wet n Wild Color Icon Matte Liquid Lipsticks | Review + Swatches!

Limited Edition Wet 'n' Wild Autumn Lush Collection Color Icon Matte Liquid Lipsticks | Review & Swatches!
Wet 'n' Wild Color Icon Matte Liquid Lipstick
     Oh, Wet 'n' Wild, how could you constantly tease us like this? I have come to the conclusion that, out of all drugstore brands, they can singlehandedly claim the title of being the temptress of them all. :) So, while these lip products are still somewhat available, yet scarce (as well as bits and bobs of the rest of the collection), I figured I would go ahead and post this review, just in case they decide to make them permanent in the future.

     The Wet 'n' Wild Autumn Lush Collection for 2016 includes 4 newly launched limited edition shades of their new Color Icon Matte Liquid Lipstick formula. I only have two of the four shades they have to offer: an insanely bold, saturated fiery red called How Fleek Is Your Love, and a vampy deep burgundy with heavy brown nuances called Don't Be a Plum-Plum. Best part? They retail for $2.99!! Say whaaaa?? That's the bee's knees!
Limited Edition Wet 'n' Wild Autumn Lush Collection Color Icon Matte Liquid Lipsticks | Review & Swatches!
Wet 'n' Wild Color Icon Matte Liquid Lipstick swatches, 2 passes of the applicator
     As you can tell from the swatches, Don't Be a Plum-Plum looks a tad bit streaky and patchy. Sadly, it applies the same on the lips, if only just slightly. The color does, however, smooth out after a second layer, and builds on itself surprisingly well. I realize the cheap-as-chips pricetag, so am willing to work with the color, as I don't have anything quite like this color in my collection. How Fleek Is Your Love, on the other hand, swatches and applies smoothly and without bald spots or streaks, every time.


Don't Be A Plum-Plum

Limited Edition Wet 'n' Wild Autumn Lush Collection Color Icon Matte Liquid Lipsticks | Review & Swatches!
Limited Edition Wet 'n' Wild Autumn Lush Collection Color Icon Matte Liquid Lipsticks | Review & Swatches!
Two layers of product, no lip liner


How Fleek Is Your Love

Limited Edition Wet 'n' Wild Autumn Lush Collection Color Icon Matte Liquid Lipsticks | Review & Swatches!
Limited Edition Wet 'n' Wild Autumn Lush Collection Color Icon Matte Liquid Lipsticks | Review & Swatches!
 Two layers of product, no lip liner

Formula & Finish

In all honesty, the formula and consistency of these is what really got me, and stuck me, even before my initial reaction to the freaking intensity of the colors I had just swatched! I gasped...and I'll admit it, I oooh'd....and I aaahh'd. The formula is so incredibly light on both of these, and it's very much a thin, almost weightless liquid, not at all creamy, thick or mousse-like in texture, as is the nature of other liquid lip colors. I was surprised that they were formulated pretty much on par with each other, despite the shade difference. Neither of them feel at all grainy going on the lips, or at any point during wear-time. 

The finish of the product dries down from its initial semi-luster upon application and sets to a flat, potent matte within about a minute....and it does...not...budge. I can sing the praises that these are indeed transfer-proof! Seriously, an oil based remover is the only thing that worked for me to get these suckers off my face. 

However, I've noticed that when my lips aren't conditioned, exfoliated, the works (they aren't in the best shape in the pics above) these lip products emphasize the lines in my lips and sink into them after a couple of hours. I always apply lip balm before applying any sort of liquid lip color, so just make sure that your lips are in top form before wearing these, babes!

Shades & Pigmentation

It's no question here that the formula for the lighter shades in this lineup apply much smoother and more seamlessly. The deeper colors, however, need just a bit of work to keep from looking patchy or streaky, but the overall degree of the streakiness is not enough to be a dealbreaker to me, as they do layer well. The pigmentation is, to be put bluntly, insane, m'kay?

Wear

Much to my surprise, I discovered that the lighter of the two shades lasted on me quite a bit longer than the deeper shade, before I had a strong inclination to remove and reapply. The lighter red shade lasts about 6 hours, before it begins to break down on the lips, and I see the beginnings of that infamous ring forming on the outside, as the color begins to wear off in the center. With the deeper burgundy color, it only takes a solid 4 hours for me to see it beginning to fade in the center of my top and bottom lip. I have never witnessed these falling off in chunks or even flaking off, so bonus points for that! :)

As for eating anything that's greasy or oily, almost anything on the lips or close to the mouth is going to break down from it, so expect no different with these. 

Yes, the formula is a bit more drying than others I have used....yes, they are a bit uncomfortable to wear after they have been on a while, and feel a bit sticky, almost gummy, when the lips are pressed together. However, the colors, despite the lack of selection, make it worth it, and if you want a good, budge-proof matte, just expect it to bite back, ya know! :)

Packaging

The packaging on these is actually very nice! It's the same packaging as their previous Metallic Liquid Lipstick formula that was limited edition for the summer. I've heard often of this packaging being compared as similar to, if not exactly the same as, the Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipstick packaging, which I wouldn't know, as I don't currently own anything from that brand. Yep, need to get on that. 

The applicator is scooped in the center on one side to allow for more product per application, and since I'm very light handed with intensely pigmented lip products, that's actually a drawback for me. So I just find myself using the other, flat end of the applicator to deposit a bit of color on the lips at a time, then immediately blending out with a lip brush or fingers, then I go back to apply more. 

Would I Recommend?

Yes, si, and absolutely! And for less than 3 bucks, how do they even make money off these??? They're excellent, and I hope and pray to see these reappear in the permanent line soon, and with a widened color selection!! 


My Overall Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I read, appreciate, and try to reply to each one!
In an effort to improve blog content for my readership, so that I can blog about things you actually want to see, I approve comments as long as they are genuine! Blog links are welcome, but no spam, please. Leave any feedback or questions you have about the content you're commenting on - and oh! You can also email me at barcelonista1221@gmail.com

01 09 10