4.11.2017

'What the Heck?' Product Regret: NYX Gotcha Covered Concealer | Review

NYX Gotcha Covered Concealer in Ivory
NYX Gotcha Covered Full Coverage Waterproof Concealer in 'Ivory'
Hello lovelies!  Welcome to my third post in my blog's 'What the Heck?' Product Regret series! That's weird, isn't it...to say 'Welcome to my blog post!' Strange, hmph... Ideally, I wouldn't have to do any of these, but since I occasionally make impulse buys at the drugstore just like most everyone else, there are some products that don't pass my usual 'You don't need it. You've read nothing about it, so just walk away' mental filter. I won't say who, but there was a YouTube beauty gal I had watched for quite a while who has a similar skin type to me (dry skin) and last year I saw a review where she said this concealer had worked nicely for her, so I went out and promptly bought it. And I've had this tube for 7 months now, so at long last - here we are! A review! 😄 
NYX Gotcha Covered Concealer in Ivory
NYX Gotcha Covered Full Coverage Waterproof Concealer in 'Ivory'

Product Claims

NYX claims full coverage, a dewy finish, and waterproof, all day wear with their Gotcha Covered Concealer. It also claims to have you covered, presumably in more ways than one. 😃 I'll give them a 2/3 as far as this concealer living up to those first three claims. Full coverage? Check. Dewy? Heck yes - it ended up being this product's downfall, sadly. Waterproof or long-wearing? Sorry, not in a million years, but we'll get to that in a bit, yes?

Look at this swatch, and you be the judge...
Swatch: NYX Gotcha Covered Concealer in Ivory
Swatch: NYX Gotcha Covered Concealer in Ivory

Performance & Coverage

As you can tell from the swatch above, this concealer has quite a greasy, oily consistency and finish, and it's almost sticky, if you will. It retains a very shiny appearance on the skin, no matter how little product is used, and it looks extremely dewy even underneath certain setting powders, so I would recommend that you use a mattifying powder with some coverage to get this concealer to stay in place and not look like bacon grease on your skin. Every time I have worn this, I have noticed a pimple or two surface in or around the area I applied it, either by the end of the night or the next day, so there's an ingredient in here that doesn't fare well with my skin, and I have long since discontinued use of this, and was just saving the tube for this review. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that ingredient is that's causing me to break out, but... I know that I can safely rule out the coconut oil that's listed as a hydrating ingredient in this, because I've only been using coconut oil on my face every day for the past three years to remove my makeup. So, it's highly unlikely that it's the culprit. 😁

While this concealer does blend easily with a nice finesse (it really doesn't take much to melt into the skin), and 'Ivory' is a good color match for me, and it's also never cakey or dry, here's the caveat: It's so incredibly dewy, that it reminds me quite a bit of the Hard Candy Glamoflauge Concealer formula, which I didn't care for all that much, either. I've also heard the NYX Gotcha Covered being compared to the Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer

I've never found this to be long-wearing at all, due to its highly emollient formula. It provides a medium to full coverage for problems on an even skin surface (discoloration, redness, veins), but does not cover any raised blemishes or bumps on the skin. It's weird, it just melts right back down to the skin's surface after I apply it to a raised blemish, and it happens whether I use my fingers, a sponge, or a concealer brush. I've found that this concealer also has a tendency to slide off and transfer pretty easily, even after it's been on the skin for a couple of hours, so it's far from being waterproof. It feels heavy and sticky on the skin as well, making me feel an instant urge to clean my face whenever I wear it.

Packaging

The packaging is a standard plastic squeeze tube with a rather long cylindrical opening that acts even more as a barrier against any product leakage, which in itself has proven to be effective, I suppose. The consistency of the concealer is very thick, though, so I haven't had any issues with it leaking out of the packaging.
NYX Gotcha Covered Concealer

Overall Rating

2/10. This is truly a product regret for me, and I honestly cannot think of anyone I would recommend this to, even if it is only $6 and full coverage. It's just not worth it. I wish I could at least use it under my eyes, so as to not waste it, but as heavy as this feels on the skin, I know it would be futile, so I guess I'm just pitching it. If you have dry skin, and you need a medium to full coverage concealer that only lasts a couple hours and don't mind this type of consistency and almost-glossy finish, then sure, you might like it. Otherwise, stay far away from this stuff, because it won't have you covered, so to speak. 😉

💋 xoxo-Cailee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I read, appreciate, and try to reply to each one!
In an effort to improve blog content for my readership, so that I can blog about things you actually want to see, I approve comments as long as they are genuine! Blog links are welcome, but no spam, please. Leave any feedback or questions you have about the content you're commenting on - and oh! You can also email me at barcelonista1221@gmail.com

01 09 10